64 Speedway Central Mississippi Speedway Clayhill Motorsports Park Columbus Speedway I-30 Speedway Jackson Motor Speedway Malden Speedway Milan Speedway Moulton Speedway North Alabama Speedway North Mississippi Speedway Riverside Speedway St. Francois County Speedway Volunteer Speedway Whynot Motorsports Park
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Brandon Sheppard Hustles to Rockin’ With the Stars Victory at Smoky Mountain Speedway
By Chris Tilley, CT Marketing
MARYVILLE, Tenn. (April 29, 2017)—Brandon Sheppard of New Berlin, Ill. took the lead on lap 15 of the 50-lapper to go on to victory in the $7,500 Rockin’ with the Stars event presented by Classic Rock 103.5 WIMZ at Smoky Mountain Speedway in Maryville, Tenn. Other event winners of the night included Morgan Turpen of Cordova, Tenn. as she captured her fourth straight victory in the United Sprint Car Series (USCS) and Bobby Zaiontz of Columbus, Miss. took the victory in the USCS Mini-Sprint Feature event.
Shane Clanton and Jason Jameson brought the field to life for the start of the 50-lap main event for the Super Late Model division. Clanton jumped to the point off of turn two but a caution before the opening lap was complete slowed the field for the only time. Kyle Hardy would slow against the turn one wall to bring out that lone yellow flag.
When Clanton and Jameson brought the field back to life for the second try, Clanton would again get the jump and lead the opening circuit with Brandon Sheppard, Jameson and Brian Shirley in hot pursuit. A three-wide battle for the third spot between Jameson, Shirley and Chris Madden would ensue as Clanton continued to hold the momentum at the point. Slower traffic would bunch the leaders up on lap nine as Clanton would lead Sheppard as the duo maneuvered through the lapped car of Bo Shirley. As the pair worked through the traffic, Sheppard would get up behind Clanton on lap-14 and make his move the following lap and take the point. By lap-19 Sheppard would have an eight car length lead over the field and by the next lap Madden would close in on the second spot. Madden would take the second spot away from Clanton on lap 21.
At the half-way point of the event, Sheppard would continue to lead over Madden, Clanton, Eric Wells and Tim McCreadie. By lap-33, as the field worked through more lapped traffic, Madden would get as close as five car lengths to the leader Brandon Sheppard but Sheppard’s Rocket House Car was faster in the clean air and once through lapped cars, would again to pull away even more. With three circuits remaining, Sheppard would have a straight away length lead and go on to take the $7,500 payday in the Valvoline, Seubert Calf Ranches, Ace Metal Works and Gunter’s Honey-sponsored Andy Durham Racing Engines-powered Rocket Chassis.
Official Summary of Results
SAS Super Late Model Feature Finish:
1. Brandon Sheppard-New Berlin, Ill.
2. Chris Madden-Gray Court, S.C.
3. Tim McCreadie-Watertown, N.Y.
4. Shane Clanton-Zebulon, Ga.
5. Eric Wells-Hazard, Ky.
6. Mike Marlar-Winfield, Tenn.
7. Brian Shirley-Chatham, Ill.
8. Tyler Erb-New Waverly, Texas
9. Shanon Buckingham-Morristown, Tenn.
10. Jimmy Owens-Newport, Tenn.
11. Jason Jameson-Lawrenceburg, Ind.
12. Ricky Weiss-Headingly, Manitoba, Canada
13. Michael Chilton-Salvisa, Ky.
14. Joey Coulter-Concord, N.C.
15. Vic Hill-Mosheim, Tenn.
16. T.J. Reaid-Acworth, Ga.
17. Austin Horton-Whitesburg, Ga.
18. Bo Shirley-Gadsden, Ala.
19. Tommy Kerr-Maryville, Tenn.
20. Skip Arp-Georgetown, Tenn.
21. Michael Page-Douglasville, Ga.
22. Donald McIntosh-Dawsonville, Ga.
23. Brandon Overton-Evans, Ga.
24.Kyle Hardy-Stevens City, Va.
Heat One Finish: Shane Clanton, Eric Wells, Ricky Weiss, Skip Arp, Donald McIntosh, Joey Coulter, Derek Ellis, Tommy Kerr, Craig Greer.
Heat Two Finish: Jason Jameson, Tim McCreadie, Shanon Buckingham, Kyle Hardy, Robby Moses, Bo Shirley, Bobby Giffin, Tristan Sealy.
Heat Three Finish: Brandon Sheppard, Chris Madden, Mike Marlar, Michael Page, Vic Hill, Michael Chilton, Billy Ogle Jr., Eric Hickerson, David Crabtree.
Heat Four Finish: Brian Shirley, Tyler Erb, Brandon Overton, Jimmy Owens, T.J. Reaid, Austin Horton, Mark Douglas, Dale McDowell.
B-Main One Finish: Donald McIntosh, Joey Coulter, Tommy Kerr, Derek Ellis, Robby Moses, Bo Shirley, Bobby Giffin, Tristan Sealy
B-Main Two Finish: Vic Hill, Michael Chilton, T.J. Reaid, Austin Horton, Billy Ogle Jr., David Crabtree, Mark Douglas, Lamar Winkle.
United Sprint Car Series (360) Feature Finish:
1. Morgan Turpen-Cordova, Tenn.
2. Derek Hagar-Marion, Ark.
3. Matt Covington-Glenpool, Ok.
4. Jordan Mallett-Greenbriar, Ark.
5. Marshall Skinner-Marion, Ark.
6. Howard Moore-Memphis, Tenn.
7. Joey Schmidt-Ellisville, Miss.
8. Terry Gray-Bartlett, Tenn.
9. Lance Moss-Cherryville, N.C.
10. Zach Daum-Pochahontas, Ill.
11. Seth Bergman-Snohomis, Wash.
12. Aubrey Black-Trenton, Ga.
13. Brian Thomas-Pendergrass, Ga.
14. Jeff Willingham-Ripley, Miss.
15. Curt Terrell-Bartlett, Tenn.
16. Dany Sams III-Englewood, Fla.
17. Bob Auld-Largo, Fla.
18. Tony Agin-Ft. Myers, Fla.
19. Joe Larkin-Suwanee, Ga. (Did Not Start)
20. Don Rider-Knoxville, Tenn. (Did Not Start)
USCS 360 Dash Winner: Zach Daum
USCS 360 Heat One Winner: Marshall Skinner
USCS 360 Heat Two Winner: Lance Moss
United Sprint Car Series Mini Sprint Feature Finish:
1. Bobby Zaiontz-Columbus, Miss.
2. Conner Morrell-Palmetto, Fla.
3. Tommy Thompson-Ten Mile, Tenn.
4. Jim McNulty-Navarre, Fla.
5. Gregg Jones-Navarre, Fla.
6. Aubrey Black-Trenton, Ga.
7. Brandon Taylor-Cumming, Ga.
8. Alex Lyles-Arlington, Tenn. (Did Not Start)
USCS Mini Sprint Heat Winner: Gregg Jones
The next event for Smoky Mountain Speedway will be this coming Thursday Night for the 4th Annual Tennessee Tipoff Classic featuring the Schaeffer’s Oil Spring Nationals Series presented by Sunoco and Tennessee RV. The Super Late Models will race for $15,000-to-win while the Limited Late Models race for $1,500-to-win and the Sportsman division will compete for the $1,000 first place prize.
The Smoky Mountain Speedway is located at 809 Brickmill Road in Maryville, TN 37801. The track phone number is (865) 856-8989. You can obtain further information on Smoky Mountain Speedway by logging on to www.smokymountainspeedway.com . Be a follower of Smoky Mountain Speedway on Twitter by following @SMOKYMTNSPEED.
Upcoming Smoky Mountain Speedway Events:
May 4-Tennessee Tipoff Classic-$15,000 to win Schaeffer’s Spring Nationals SeriesMay 13-World of Outlaws Craftsman Late Model Series-$10,000 to win