64 Speedway Central Mississippi Speedway Clayhill Motorsports Park Columbus Speedway I-30 Speedway Jackson Motor Speedway Malden Speedway Milan Speedway Moulton Speedway North Alabama Speedway North Mississippi Speedway Riverside Speedway St. Francois County Speedway Volunteer Speedway Whynot Motorsports Park
Johnny Scott cashes winner's check in USMTS Cajun Clash kickoffVIVIAN, La. (March 2) -- Searching for victory lane since last June, Johnny Scott used a late-race restart to get by Ryan Gustin and then survived a green-white-checkered finish to score his first USMTS win of the season Thursday night at the Ark-La-Tex Speedway for night one of the 6th Annual Cajun Clash presented by Horseshoe Bossier City.
The 27-year-old from Las Cruces, N.M., started on the outside of the front row but chased Gustin for the first 21 laps around the high-banked 3/8-mile of red clay when the race's first caution waved.
One lap after going back to green flag racing, Scott took his shot and slid up in front of Gustin at the exit of turn four after diving underneath as they entered turn three.
Gustin tried to cross back under Scott but did not have enough momentum to return the favor in the next corner.
Scott pulled away slightly over the next seven laps while Gustin had his hands full in a three-car battle with teammate Jason Hughes and Cade Dillard.
Just after talking the white flag, Scott saw the yellow flag wave for a second and final time to set up a two-lap dash to the finish.
But Scott was flawless on the restart while the trio of drivers behind him fought it out for runner-up honors.
"The top was pretty dominant most of the night, but if you could get in through the middle and dodge the holes you could get a really great run off the corner," Scott said in victory lane. "We've been good all year but we just haven't put it all together. It feels really good to get it done tonight. We're definitely going to celebrate."
While Scott collect $2,000 for his 29th career USMTS triumph, Gustin kept Hughes at bay to finish second and Dillard settled for fourth ahead of Kyle Strickler.
Terry Phillips, who came from last to win his Real Racing Wheels "B" Main, was an early factor in the main event before winding up sixth in the end.
Travis Saurer. Stormy Scott, Dereck Ramirez and Ricky Thornton Jr. completed the top ten.
Two more nights of racing remain at the Ark-La-Tex Speedway. On Friday, hot laps begin at 7 and the green flag unfurls at 7:30. USMTS Modifieds will compete for $3,000 to win while Limited Mods will battle for $500 to win and Factory Stocks $400 to win. Grandstand tickets are $20, kids ages 11-16 are $10 and children ages 10 and under get in for free. Pit passes are $35.
Saturday's finale will see hot laps start at 6 p.m. with racing at 6:30. USMTS Modifieds will race for $4,000 to win with both Limited Mods and Factory Stocks paying $600 to win and Pro-Mods joining the card for $300 to win. Grandstand tickets are $20, kids ages 11-16 are $10 and children ages 10 and under get in for free. Pit passes are $40.
Pit gates open at 2 p.m. and the grandstands open at 5 p.m. both days.
The Ark-La-Tex Speedway is located 0.6 mile south of SR 2 on SR 1, then 0.7 mile west on Airport Rd., then 2.2 miles south on Boyter Lane Rd. For race day information, call the track hotline at 318-375-3470 or click www.arklatexspeedway.net to visit them online.
For unfortunate fans unable to attend one or both of these blockbuster events, every lap of every race every day will be broadcast live at www.RacinDirt.com/Live.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/usmts, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/usmts and Instagram at www.instagram.com/usmts or subscribe to our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/usmtstv. Keep up to speed with everything USMTS by joining our email list at www.usmts.com/subscribe.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Modified Touring Series
USMTS Casey's Cup powered by S&S Fishing & Rental - Summit Racing Southern Region presented by Production Jars
6th Annual USMTS Cajun Clash presented by Horseshoe Bossier City - Night 1 of 3
Ark-La-Tex Speedway, Vivian, La.
Thursday, March 2, 2017
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed and money won.
SIMPSON PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (5) 20rt Ricky Thornton Jr., Chandler, Ariz.
2. (2) 85 Thomas Tillison Jr., Wellston, Okla.
3. (4) 6x Kyle Pleasant, Natchitoches, La.
4. (3) 33f Jardin Fuller (R), Memphis, Mo.
5. (6) 9 Kevin Rutherford (R), Flower Mound, Texas.
6. (1) 55d Michael Dotson, Lathrop, Mo.
7. (7) 18 Terry Tussey Jr. (R), Texarkana, Ark.
8. (8) C8 Timothy Culp, Prattsville, Ark.
FAST SHAFTS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (3) 5 Jon Mitchell, Texarkana, Texas.
2. (6) 8 Kyle Strickler (R), Mooresville, N.C.
3. (4) 23 Adam Kates (R), Tonganoxie, Kan.
4. (1) 7 Sean Gaddis (R), Diana, Texas.
5. (7) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla.
6. (2) 23 Logan Robertson (R), Shamrock, Texas.
7. (5) 1/2 Zane Hunter (R), Alma, Ark.
DNS - 4w Tyler Wolff (R), Fayetteville, Ark.
EDELBROCK HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (1) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
2. (5) 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla.
3. (6) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa.
4. (8) 97 Cade Dillard, Robeline, La.
5. (2) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
6. (3) 21 David Winslett, Bossier City, La.
7. (4) 94 Colton McDonald, Natchitoches, La.
8. (7) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo.
THE JOIE OF SEATING HEAT RACE #4 (8 laps):
1. (1) 4 Billy Vogel (R), West Fargo, N.D.
2. (2) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
3. (3) 21 Chris Brown, Spring, Texas.
4. (7) 1s Travis Saurer (R), Elizabeth, Minn.
5. (8) 34 Mickey Lassiter (R), Piedmont, Okla.
6. (5) 8 Dennie Gieber, Jacksonville, Texas.
7. (4) 79 J.R. Owen (R), Pocola, Okla.
8. (6) 16 Chris Henigan, Marshall, Texas.
VP RACING FUELS HEAT RACE #5 (8 laps):
1. (4) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
2. (1) 78 Trevor Egbert, Salado, Texas.
3. (5) 10 Tye Clampitt, Henderson, Texas.
4. (2) A1 Phil Dixon, Crosby, Texas.
5. (7) 2g Kenny Gaddis, Diana, Texas.
6. (3) 22 Ralo Pilkington, Marshall, Texas.
7. (6) 91 R.C. Whitwell (R), Tucson, Ariz.
REAL RACING WHEELS "B" MAIN #1 (15 laps, top 5 advance):
1. (1) 97 Cade Dillard, Robeline, La.
2. (7) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
3. (3) 21 Chris Brown, Spring, Texas.
4. (4) 33f Jardin Fuller (R), Memphis, Mo.
5. (6) 2g Kenny Gaddis, Diana, Texas.
6. (2) 23 Adam Kates (R), Tonganoxie, Kan., LG2/Speedway, $80.
7. (5) A1 Phil Dixon, Crosby, Texas, Elite/Durham, $80.
8. (12) 91 R.C. Whitwell (R), Tucson, Ariz.
9. (8) 23 Logan Robertson (R), Shamrock, Texas, MBCustom/PPE, $80.
10. (11) 94 Colton McDonald, Natchitoches, La., LG2/Yeoman, $60.
11. (10) 18 Terry Tussey Jr. (R), Texarkana, Ark., GRT/Mullins, $80.
12. (9) 8 Dennie Gieber, Jacksonville, Texas, /, $60.
DNS - 4w Tyler Wolff (R), Fayetteville, Ark., MBCustom/Hatfield, $80.
DNS - 16 Chris Henigan, Marshall, Texas, MBCustom/Sput's, $80.
REAL RACING WHEELS "B" MAIN #2 (15 laps, top 5 advance):
1. (11) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo.
2. (5) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla.
3. (2) 1s Travis Saurer (R), Elizabeth, Minn.
4. (4) 7 Sean Gaddis (R), Diana, Texas.
5. (3) 34 Mickey Lassiter (R), Piedmont, Okla.
6. (7) 21 David Winslett, Bossier City, La., GRT/TwinCity, $80.
7. (8) 22 Ralo Pilkington (R), Marshall, Texas, GRT/Sisk, $80.
8. (9) 1/2 Zane Hunter (R), Alma, Ark., Hughes/BMS, $80.
9. (10) 79 J.R. Owen (R), Pocola, Okla., Hughes/Mullins, $80.
10. (6) 55d Michael Dotson, Lathrop, Mo., GRT/GMPP, $80.
11. (1) 6x Kyle Pleasant, Natchitoches, La.
DNS - 9 Kevin Rutherford (R), Flower Mound, Texas, MBCustom/Mullins, $80.
DNS - C8 Timothy Culp, Prattsville, Ark., GRT/Sput's, $80.
PRODUCTION JARS "A" MAIN (30 laps):
1. (2) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., GRT/Durham, $2000.
2. (1) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa, Hughes/Mullins, $1500.
3. (3) 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla., Hughes/Mullins, $1000.
4. (13) 97 Cade Dillard, Robeline, La., MBCustom/ASI, $800.
5. (8) 8 Kyle Strickler (R), Mooresville, N.C., Longhorn/VED, $700.
6. (14) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo., GRT/Durham, $600.
7. (18) 1s Travis Saurer (R), Elizabeth, Minn., MBCustom/Dakota, $500.
8. (10) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., GRT/Mullins, $450.
9. (7) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., LG2/Cornett, $400.
10. (6) 20rt Ricky Thornton Jr., Chandler, Ariz., Hughes/Mullins, $400.
11. (17) 21 Chris Brown, Spring, Texas, MBCustom/Durham, $400.
12. (15) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, VanderBuilt/Sput's, $400.
13. (4) 4 Billy Vogel (R), West Fargo, N.D., LG2/Durham, $300.
14. (11) 78 Trevor Egbert, Salado, Texas, GRT/Mullins, $275.
15. (5) 5 Jon Mitchell, Texarkana, Texas, MBCustom/CB, $250.
16. (23) 91 R.C. Whitwell (R), Tucson, Ariz., GRT/GMPP, $250.
17. (9) 85 Thomas Tillison Jr., Wellston, Okla., Hughes/Geddes, $250.
18. (16) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla., MBCustom/Sput's, $250.
19. (24) 6x Kyle Pleasant, Natchitoches, La., MBCustom/Hatfield, $250.
20. (12) 10 Tye Clampitt, Henderson, Texas, GRT/Sput's, $200.
21. (19) 33f Jardin Fuller (R), Memphis, Mo., Hughes/Mullins, $250.
22. (20) 7 Sean Gaddis (R), Diana, Texas, MBCustom/PTS, $250.
23. (21) 2g Kenny Gaddis, Diana, Texas, MBCustom/PTS, $250.
24. (22) 34 Mickey Lassiter (R), Piedmont, Okla., Hughes/Sput's, $250.
(R) = Rookie of the Year contender.
Lap Leaders: Gustin 1-22. J. Scott 23-30.
Total Laps Led: Gustin 22, J. Scott 8.
Margin of Victory: 0.900 second.
Time of Race: 17 minutes, 26.251 seconds (2 cautions).
Provisional Starters: Whitwell, Pleasant.
KSE Racing Products Hard Charger: Saurer (started 18th, finished 7th).
Next Race: Friday, March 3, Ark-La-Tex Speedway.
Summit Racing Southern Region Points: Dillard 871, Hughes 837, Brown 827, Thornton 808, S. Scott 807, Gustin 804, J. Scott 769, Saurer 760, Ramirez 753, VanderBeek 735.
Grant Junghans Rookie of the Year Points: Saurer 754, Whitwell 694, Wolff 672, Vogel 584, Lassiter 377.
Engine Builder of the Year Points: Mullins 93, Durham 80, ASI 74, Sput's 53, Cornett 52.
Manufacturers Championship Points: Hughes 93, MBCustoms 89, GRT 80, LG2 68, VanderBuilt 60.
Allstar Performance - S. Scott.
American Racer - Henigan.
Beyea Custom Headers - Rutherford.
BigDeal Car Care - J. Scott.
BSB Manufacturing - Fuller.
Chix Gear Racewear - Wolff.
Day Motor Sports - K. Gaddis, Lassiter.
Deatherage Opticians - Robertson.
Dickson Racing Shocks - Mitchell.
E3 Spark Plugs - Hughes.
Edelbrock - J. Scott.
Fast Shafts - Mitchell.
Forty9Designs.com - Egbert, Pleasant.
Fuel Safe Racing Cells - Phillips.
GRT Race Cars - Dotson.
Hooker Custom Harness - Vogel.
Integra Shocks & Springs - Duvall.
Jerovetz Motorsports Racing Parts - Tillison.
Keyser Manufacturing - Thornton.
KSE Racing Products - Saurer.
Out-Pace Racing Products - Whitwell.
QA1 - Mitchell.
Real Racing Wheels - all non-qualifiers.
Simpson Performance Products - Thornton.
Sweet Manufacturing - S. Gaddis.
Sybesma Graphics - Gustin.
Tire Demon - Brown.
VP Racing Fuels - J. Scott.
Wehrs Machine & Racing Products - J. Scott.
Wilwood Engineering - Saurer.