LAKE ODESSA, Mich. (May 14, 2021) - For the first time in his career, Indianapolis, Indiana’s Tyler Courtney is a FloRacing All Star Circuit of Champions presented by Mobil 1 main event winner, doing so in big money fashion during I-96 Speedway’s Mace Thomas Classic on Friday, May 14. “Sunshine,” who started sixth on the main event grid before officially climbing his way into the All Star history books, earned $8,500 for his efforts, eventually holding off a pair of All Star championship contenders in Ian Madsen and Justin Peck.
Not taking command until just before the midpoint of the 30-lap contest, Courtney, aboard the Clauson Marshall Racing, NOS Energy Drink, No. 7BC sprint car, put himself within striking distance early, ultimately utilizing a stacked field after a caution on lap five to sneak by CJB Motorsports’ Paul McMahan for third. At the time, Sam McGhee Motorsports’ Ian Madsen held down the top spot, followed by Rudeen Racing’s Cory Eliason.
Unfortunately for Eliason, caution flags waved on his behalf on lap 13, forced to go pit-side with a disintegrated right rear tire. Eliason’s misfortune allowed Courtney to inherit the second position.
The ensuing restart gave Courtney an opportunity to make a bid for the lead, using the very top groove at the exit of turn four to squeeze by Ian Madsen on lap 14. From that point forward, it was all Tyler Courtney at the front of the field, surviving three more cautions and a short run in with traffic before crossing under the final checkers by a margin of victory equaling 2.48 seconds.
“This makes it all worth it,” an elated Tyler Courtney said in I-96 Speedway victory lane. “We have a lot of great partners and a lot of support behind us and they all make this possible. I owe it all to the guys at the shop. We’ve had a lot of bad luck, but we kept pushing through. We’ve been so close but we finally got it.
“We’re going to enjoy this win as long as we can,” Courtney continued. “I’m sure during our trip to Joliet it will all finally set in. It’s so hard to win races, especially in a form of racing so new to me, but we’ve got one heck of a team. If you want to contend for a championship, these are the guys you have to beat. To do it once is good, but we want more.”
Ian Madsen held on to finish second to also maintain the current All Star championship point lead, followed by Justin Peck, Paul McMahan, and Rico Abreu.
“I can’t thank Sam and the entire Sam McGhee Motorsports team enough for the opportunity,” Ian Madsen said, who owns a 12-point margin in the title chase over Justin Peck. “The team is doing an incredible job. We’ve been really close every night so hopefully we can snag one of these sooner or later.”
The All Star Circuit of Champions will continue their weekend sweep with a visit to the Dirt Oval at Route 66 in Joliet, Illinois, on Saturday, May 15. The IRA Outlaw Sprint Series will be joining the All Star Circuit of Champions for the one-night takeover, accompanied by a loaded roster including the likes of Scotty Thiel, Jake Blackhurst, Scott Neitzel, Jeremy Schultz, and Russ Borland. Dubbed the Open Wheel Slam, Saturday’s All Stars vs IRA showcase will award an $8,000 top prize; the first All Star visit to the Chicagoland venue since June 29, 2019.
For those who can not witness the All Star Circuit of Champions live and in person, FloRacing.com, the official media partner and broadcast provider of the All Stars, has you covered. To access live and on-demand racing action from the All Star Circuit of Champions, visit FloRacing.com and become an annual PRO subscriber. Race fans can see all the USAC and dirt late-model action they want in addition to Eldora Speedway’s slate of races and those of the All Star Circuit of Champions. The subscription unlocks access to premium content across the entire FloSports network. Watch the events across all screens by downloading the FloSports app on iOS, Android, Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire and Chromecast.
Contingency Awards/Results: I-96 Speedway - Friday, May 14, 2021
Event: Mace Thomas Classic
C&R Racing Hot Laps: Cory Eliason | 13.456
Dixie Vodka Fast Qualifier: Justin Peck | 13.086
Ford Performance Heat #1 Winner: Buddy Kofoid
All Pro Aluminum Cylinder Heads Heat #2 Winner: Brinton Marvel
Hunt Brothers Pizza Heat #3 Winner: Paul McMahan
Mobil 1 Heat #4 Winner: Greg Wilson
Kear’s Speed Shop Dash #1 Winner: Ian Madsen
Elliott’s Custom Trailers and Carts Dash #2 Winner: Cory Eliason
Classic Ink USA Screenprinting & Embroidery B-Main Winner: Cale Thomas
Rayce Rudeen Foundation First Non-Transfer: Max Stambaugh
FloRacing A-Main Winner: Tyler Courtney
Hercules Tire A-Main Hard Charger: Cap Henry (+10)
1. 67-Buddy Kofoid, 13.400; 2. 7BC-Tyler Courtney, 13.429; 3. 55-Hunter Schuerenberg, 13.482; 4. 65-Jordan Goldesberry, 13.546; 5. 10-Zeb Wise, 13.549; 6. 2-Ricky Peterson, 13.722; 7. 41-Thomas Schinderle, 13.751; 8. 27K-Zac Broughman, 14.667
1. 11-Ian Madsen, 13.243; 2. 17B-Bill Balog, 13.244; 3. 73-Scotty Thiel, 13.279; 4. 21BP-Brinton Marvel, 13.418; 5. 97-Cale Thomas, 13.435; 6. 4-Cap Henry, 13.514; 7. 27QB-Quentin Blonde, 14.476; 8. 5s-Max Stambaugh, 99.998
1. 13-Justin Peck, 13.086; 2. 24-Rico Abreu, 13.348; 3. 5-Paul McMahan, 13.370; 4. 91-Kyle Reinhardt, 13.488; 5. 8M-TJ Michael, 13.619; 6. 22M-Dan McCarron, 13.877; 7. 27-Justin Adams, 14.044; 8. 21N-Frankie Nervo, 14.079
1. 26-Cory Eliason, 13.330; 2. 71h-Ryan Ruhl, 13.759; 3. 85-Dustin Daggett, 13.791; 4. W20-Greg Wilson, 13.795; 5. 4T-Josh Turner, 14.229; 6. 23-Russel Borland, 14.415; 7. 2A-Allen Aldrich, 14.516; 8. 16c-Chase Ridenour, 99.999
Heat #1 - Group (A) (8 Laps) - Top 5 Transfer
1. 67-Buddy Kofoid ; 2. 55-Hunter Schuerenberg ; 3. 7BC-Tyler Courtney ; 4. 10-Zeb Wise ; 5. 2-Ricky Peterson ; 6. 65-Jordan Goldesberry ; 7. 41-Thomas Schinderle ; 8. 27K-Zac Broughman 
Heat #2 - Group (B) (8 Laps) - Top 5 Transfer
1. 21BP-Brinton Marvel ; 2. 73-Scotty Thiel ; 3. 17B-Bill Balog ; 4. 11-Ian Madsen ; 5. 4-Cap Henry ; 6. 97-Cale Thomas ; 7. 5S-Max Stambaugh ; 8. 27QB-Quentin Blonde 
Heat #3 - Group (C) (8 Laps) - Top 5 Transfer
1. 5-Paul McMahan ; 2. 91-Kyle Reinhardt ; 3. 24-Rico Abreu ; 4. 13-Justin Peck ; 5. 8M-TJ Michael ; 6. 22M-Dan McCarron ; 7. 21N-Frankie Nervo ; 8. 27-Justin Adams 
Heat #4 - Group (D) (8 Laps) - Top 5 Transfer
1. W20-Greg Wilson ; 2. 85-Dustin Daggett ; 3. 26-Cory Eliason ; 4. 71H-Ryan Ruhl ; 5. 23-Russel Borland ; 6. 4T-Josh Turner 
Dash #1 (4 Laps)
1. 11-Ian Madsen ; 2. 67-Buddy Kofoid ; 3. 5-Paul McMahan ; 4. 73-Scotty Thiel ; 5. W20-Greg Wilson 
Dash #2 (4 Laps)
1. 26-Cory Eliason ; 2. 17B-Bill Balog ; 3. 7BC-Tyler Courtney ; 4. 13-Justin Peck ; 5. 21BP-Brinton Marvel 
B-Main (10 Laps) - Top 4 Transfer
1. 97-Cale Thomas ; 2. 65-Jordan Goldesberry ; 3. 41-Thomas Schinderle ; 4. 22M-Dan McCarron ; 5. 5S-Max Stambaugh ; 6. 21N-Frankie Nervo ; 7. 27QB-Quentin Blonde ; 8. 4T-Josh Turner ; 9. 27K-Zac Broughman ; 10. 27-Justin Adams 
A-Main (30 Laps)
1. 7BC-Tyler Courtney ; 2. 11-Ian Madsen ; 3. 13-Justin Peck ; 4. 5-Paul McMahan ; 5. 24-Rico Abreu ; 6. 10-Zeb Wise ; 7. 4-Cap Henry ; 8. 55-Hunter Schuerenberg ; 9. 71H-Ryan Ruhl ; 10. 91-Kyle Reinhardt ; 11. 67-Buddy Kofoid ; 12. 97-Cale Thomas ; 13. 65-Jordan Goldesberry ; 14. 2-Ricky Peterson ; 15. 85-Dustin Daggett ; 16. 21BP-Brinton Marvel ; 17. 73-Scotty Thiel ; 18. 8M-TJ Michael ; 19. W20-Greg Wilson ; 20. 26-Cory Eliason ; 21. 17B-Bill Balog ; 22. 23-Russel Borland ; 23. 41-Thomas Schinderle ; 24. 22M-Dan McCarron  Lap Leaders: Ian Madsen (1-13), Tyler Courney (14-30)
2021 All Star Circuit of Champions Winners:
1. Screven Motor Speedway, Georgia (January 29, 2021): Donny Schatz
2. Screven Motor Speedway, Georgia (January 30, 2021): Aaron Reutzel
3. East Bay Raceway Park, Florida (February 2, 2021): Donny Schatz (2)
4. Volusia Speedway Park, Florida (February 3, 2021): Logan Schuchart
5. Volusia Speedway Park, Florida (February 4, 2021): Carson Macedo
6. Attica Raceway Park, Ohio (April 3, 2021): Justin Peck
7. Virginia Motor Speedway, Virginia (April 15, 2021): Tony Stewart
8. Williams Grove Speedway, Pennsylvania (April 16, 2021): Kyle Larson
9. Port Royal Speedway, Pennsylvania (April 17, 2021): Logan Wagner
10. Bedford Speedway, Pennsylvania (April 18, 2021): Anthony Macri
11. Sharon Speedway, Pennsylvania (May 1, 2021): Justin Peck (2)
12. Tri-City Raceway Park, Pennsylvania (May 2, 2021): Sam Hafertepe Jr.
13. I-96 Speedway, Michigan (May 14, 2021): Tyler Courtney
2021 All Star Circuit of Champions Driver Standings (as of 5/14/21):
1. Ian Madsen - 1104
2. Justin Peck - 1092
3. Tyler Courtney - 1060
4. Zeb Wise - 1042
5. Hunter Schuerenberg - 1010
6. Cory Eliason - 998
7. Cap Henry - 966
8. Bill Balog - 964
9. Paul McMahan - 928
10. Kyle Reinhardt - 904
About the All Star Circuit of Champions:
All Star Enterprises, LLC, wholly owned by Tony Stewart, d/b/a the All Star Circuit of Champions, is a winged sprint car series. The All Star Circuit of Champions Sprint Car Series is one of the oldest traveling 410 sprint car organizations and is a staple of grassroots, open-wheel racing. Formed in 1970 by Bud Miller, the series has largely been considered the first 'outlaw' Sprint Car organization of the modern era. Motorsports entrepreneur Tony Stewart agreed to terms with Guy Webb to become the sole owner of the original winged sprint car tour in January of 2015.
Founded in 2006, FloSports is a subscription video streaming service dedicated to sports, offering live and on-demand access to hundreds of thousands of competition events across 25+ vertical sport categories in the US and abroad. FloSports’ mission is to give underserved sports the love they deserve. With a growing library of more than 300,000 hours of premium content including news, expert commentary, films, documentaries and more, FloSports has established itself as an innovator and leader in sports streaming. Finally, your sport has a home. For more information, please visit: flosports.tv.
About Mobil 1:
The world's leading synthetic motor oil brand, Mobil 1™ features anti-wear technology that provides performance beyond our conventional motor oils. This technology allows Mobil 1 to meet or exceed the toughest standards of car builders and to provide exceptional protection against engine wear, under normal or even some of the most extreme conditions. Mobil 1 flows quickly in extreme temperatures to protect critical engine parts and is designed to maximize engine performance and help extend engine life. For more information, visit mobiloil.com, on Twitter @Mobil1 and, on Facebook, www.facebook.com/mobil1. Mobil, Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Racing are registered trademarks of Exxon Mobil Corporation or one of its subsidiaries.
# # #
Photo Credit: Chad Warner
Contact: Tyler Altmeyer
FloRacing All Star Circuit of Champions presented by Mobil 1
(724) 954-4915, email@example.com