FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Dale McDowell Goes Flag-to-Flag for Spring Shootout Victory at Smoky Mountain Speedway
By Chris Tilley
MARYVILLE, TN (April 1, 2017)—Dale McDowell of Chickamauga, Ga. led flag-to-flag on Saturday Night at Smoky Mountain Speedway for the $7,500 prize during the unsanctioned Spring Shootout. Other event winners included Kyle Strickler of Mooresville, N.C. pocketing $2,000 in the Southeast Dirt Modified Series event and Robbie Cromer taking the $500 prize in the Street Stock main event.
This was McDowell’s first victory of the season which also doubled as his first driving for the newly formed Shane McDowell Racing team owned by Shane and Sara McDowell. McDowell drove the Textron Off Road, Klotz Lubricants, Boyd’s Speedway, Will Kinzer Foundation for Autism Research, Cometic Gaskets and New Era Industrial-sponsored, Clements Racing Engines-powered, Sweet-Bloomquist Race Car to the payday leading all 50 laps.
McDowell and Mike Marlar brought the Super Late Model field down to the green flag for the start of the 50-lapper with McDowell getting the jump and the early lead. Marlar, Donald McIntosh and Chris Ferguson would be in tow. Marlar held on to second until the tenth lap when the caution came out. Damage on the right side of Marlar’s mount after contact with Brad Skinner sent him pitside for the remainder of the race giving second spot to Chris Ferguson on the restart. McDowell would lead Ferguson, fifth place starter Michael Chilton and Donald McIntosh to the green. As the laps clicked away, Chilton would close in on Ferguson for second and eventually take the spot away on the 31st lap. Donald McIntosh would shoot out of a canon with about eight laps to go and take the second spot from Ferguson after battling Chilton and Ferguson for positions inside the top five. McDowell would hold on for the event victory over McIntosh, Ferguson, ninth place starter Brandon Overton and Chilton who wound up fifth.
One caution flag slowed the 50-lap Super Late Model event. Just as the field was coming down to complete the tenth circuit, Tommy Taylor, who tried to exit to the infield off of turn four, got crossed up and slammed the inside retaining wall and was un-injured. Meanwhile, Brad Skinner got crossed up then flipped in turn two as the caution was waving for Taylor. Skinner also escaped injury but his car was severely crippled and he went pitside.
Official Summary of Results of Spring Shootout at Smoky Mountain Speedway on April 1, 2017
Super Late Model Feature:
1. Dale McDowell-Chickamauga, Ga.
2. Donald McIntosh-Dawsonville, Ga.
3. Chris Ferguson-Mt. Holly, N.C.
4. Brandon Overton-Evans, Ga.
5. Michael Chilton-Salvisa, Ky.
6. Casey Roberts-Toccoa, Ga.
7. Tripp Gerrald-Nicholasville, Ky.
8. Shanon Buckingham-Morristown, Tenn.
9. Brian Ligon-Augusta, Ga.
10. Robby Moses-Maryville, Tenn.
11. Billy Ogle Jr.-Knoxville, Tenn.
12. David Breazeale-Four Corners, Miss.
13. Bobby Giffin-Maryville, Tenn.
14. Tommy Kerr-Maryville, Tenn.
15. Ricky Weiss-Headingly, Manitoba, Canada.
16. Mike Marlar-Winfield, Tenn.
17. Skip Arp-Georgetown, Tenn.
18. Brad Skinner-Springhill, Tenn.
19. Tommy Taylor-Lascassas, Tenn.
20. Skylar Marlar-Winfield, Tenn.
21. Mark Fields-Lawrenceburg, Tenn.
22. Mark Douglas-Knoxville, Tenn.
Overall Fast Time: Mike Marlar (Group B)-14.899 seconds
Consolation Race No. 1 Finish: (top-9 transfer) Michael Chilton, Shanon Buckingham, Brandon Overton, Skylar Marlar, Tripp Gerrald, Billy Ogle Jr., Tommy Kerr, Mark Douglas, Brad Skinner, David Crabtree, Austin Arnold, Ray McElhiney.
Consolation Race No. 2 Finish: (top-9 transfer) Donald McIntosh, Casey Roberts, Ricky Weiss, Brian Ligon, Robby Moses, David Breazeale, Mark Fields, Bobby Giffin, Tommy Taylor, Craig Greer, Kayne Hickman, Carder Miller.
Southeast Dirt Modified Series Feature Finish:
1. Kyle Strickler-Mooresville, N.C.
2. Billy Workman Jr.-Mooresville, N.C.
3. Shon Flanary-Surgoinsville, Tenn.
4. Preston Seratt-Finley, Tenn.
5. Blake Brown-Corbin, Ky.
6. Buck Stevens-Statesville, N.C.
7. Derrick Ramey-Mooresville, N.C.
8. Greg Brown-Concord, N.C.
9. Michael Grantham-Sanford, N.C.
10. Slater McCray-Mooresville, N.C.
11. Taylor Cook-Stanley, N.C.
12. Brent Glasetter-Mooresville, Tenn.
13. Billy Palmer-Knoxville, Tenn.
14. Ashley Newman-Ripley, Tenn.
15. Chris Arnold-Matoaca, Va.
16. Ryan Ayers-Concord, N.C. (Did Not Start)
17. Dennis Roberson-Paris, Ky. (Did Not Start)
18. Brandon Russell-Salyersville, Ky. (Did Not Start)
19. Amos Bunch-Wartburg, Tenn. (Did Not Start)
20. Richard Clew-Mocksville, N.C. (Did Not Start)
Street Stock Feature:
1. Robbie Cromer
2. Wendell Spence
3. Brandon Hutchinson
4. Tony Simonic