Sabraski money in USMTS go at Ogilvie
OGILVIE, Minn. (Aug. 12)--Although he's no stranger to victory lane or the Ogilvie Raceway, Shane Sabraski notched his first United States Modified Touring Series win Saturday night in a highly entertaining event at 'The Big O.'
Sabraski, who started third on the 24-car grid, drove underneath race-long leader R.C. Whitwell on lap 23 and then kept a swarm of USMTS chasers behind him for the final 17 laps.
The 40-minute commute from his home in Rice, Minn., was worth $3,000 to Sabraski, who has been strong in his infrequent hook-ups with the series. He finished fourth here in June and followed that up with a sixth-place finish at The Masters that same weekend.
Defending USMTS national champion Jason Hughes, who led the first 35 of 40 laps here back in June, got by Whitwell in the late stages of the race but could not mount a serious challenge to Sabraski and had to settle for the runner-up paycheck.
The points leader in the USMTS Hunt for the Casey's Cup powered by S&S Fishing & Rental, Stormy Scott outdueled Whitwell for third while Zack VanderBeek stopped the bleeding with a solid fifth-place finish from the ninth starting spot.
Clayton Wagamon, Cade Dillard, Ricky Thornton Jr., Jake Timm and Cory Crapser completed the top 10.
In sharp contrast to Friday's rough-and-tumble show, Saturday's feature race went 40 laps without a caution and all 24 starters took the checkered flag.
Timm took the win at Ogilvie on June 14 for his career-first USMTS triumph too. He and Sabraski join four other drivers-Mitch Keeter, Whitwell, Jon Mitchell and Tyler Wolff-as ones who picked up their first USMTS win in 2017. Wolff's came nine days ago in the opening round of the USMTS Hunt for the Casey's Cup.
The tireless touring titans continue their journey Sunday at the Mason City Motor Speedway in Mason City, Iowa, for the 6th Annual Diamond Jo Casino Double Down 30s.
Fans will get to witness a complete five-class program with double features for the USMTS road warriors. The final race Sunday night will be the USMTS main event that was rained out on June 11.
This will be the seventh and eighth USMTS features held on the historic North Iowa Fairgrounds clay oval. A different driver won each of the first six, beginning with Ryan Ruter's victory in 2009. Mike Steensma, Kelly Shryock and Jason Hughes all tasted USMTS glory when the track was still known as I-35 Speedway. Two events were staged last year with Rodney Sanders and Cade Dillard topping those shows.
Sunday's blockbuster will also showcase the Summit USRA Weekly Racing Series featuring Holley USRA Stock Cars, Out-Pace USRA B-Mods, USRA Hobby Stocks and Rookies Rockin' USRA Tuners all running for increased prize money.
The pit gate opens at 4 p.m., grandstands open at 5 and hot laps begin at 6 with racing to follow. Adult general admission tickets are $20. Seniors (65+), members of the military and first responders get in for $17. Juniors ages 11-16 are just $10 and kids 10 and under are free. A pit pass costs $35.
Coupons good for $2 off adult admission are available at Casey's General Store locations in Clear Lake, Forest City, Garner, Lake Mills, Manly, Mason City, Nora Springs, Northwood, Osage, Sheffield and St. Ansgar.
Curt Myers and his Snickers-sponsored race car will be at the Casey's General Store located at 6 Plaza Dr. in Clear Lake, Iowa, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Fans can get special $5 "Hot Ticket" coupons directly from the driver during his appearance.
The Mason City Motor Speedway is a semi-banked 1/2-mile clay oval located 5.1 miles east of I-35 at exit 194 on SR 122 (at the North Iowa Fairgrounds). For more information, call (641) 424-6515 or check out www.masoncitymotorspeedway.com. You can also like the track's Facebook page at www.facebook.com/masoncitymotorspeedway and follow on Twitter at www.twitter.com/racinmasoncity (@RacinMasonCity).
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/usmts, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/usmts and Instagram at www.instagram.com/usmts or subscribe to our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/usmtstv. Keep up to speed with everything USMTS by joining our email list at www.usmts.com/subscribe.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Modified Touring Series
USMTS Hunt for the Casey's Cup powered by S&S Fishing & Rental
Ogilvie Raceway, Ogilvie, Minn.
Saturday, Aug. 12, 2017
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed and money won.
SIMPSON PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (1) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
2. (2) 30 Matt Leer, Bruce, Wis.
3. (4) 49jr Jake Timm, Winona, Minn.
4. (3) 18z Zane DeVilbiss (R), Farmington, N.M.
5. (5) 89jr J.T. Johnson, Milaca, Minn.
6. (8) 1s Travis Saurer (R), Elizabeth, Minn.
7. (6) 12 Jason Gross, Osceola, Wis.
8. (7) 8c Chris Clark (R), Jackson, Wyo.
FAST SHAFTS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (2) 96 R.C. Whitwell (R), Tucson, Ariz.
2. (3) 07 Cory Crapser, Chippewa Falls, Wis.
3. (4) 48 Brent Dutenhoffer, Watertown, S.D.
4. (5) 81 Mike Densberger, Lincoln, Neb.
5. (1) 23 Adam Kates (R), Tonganoxie, Kan.
6. (7) 4w Tyler Wolff (R), Fayetteville, Ark.
7. (6) 32 Shaun Peterson, Alexandria, Minn.
EDELBROCK HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (2) 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla.
2. (1) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
3. (4) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
4. (3) 97 Cade Dillard, Robeline, La.
5. (5) 20rt Ricky Thornton Jr., Chandler, Ariz.
6. (6) 1m Curt Myers, Cameron, Wis.
7. (7) 2t Jake O'Neil, Tucson, Ariz.
THE JOIE OF SEATING HEAT RACE #4 (8 laps):
1. (2) 14w Clayton Wagamon, Ramsey, Minn.
2. (3) 4b Cory Bruggeman (R), Stillwater, Minn.
3. (7) 7a Shane Sabraski, Rice, Minn.
4. (1) 46 Justin Oestreich, Elk River, Minn.
5. (4) 21 Joey Jensen, Harris, Minn.
6. (5) 0 Zack Drews, Superior, Wis.
7. (6) 11x Rich Lofthus, Bloomer, Wis.
REAL RACING WHEELS "B" MAIN #1 (10 laps, top 5 advance):
1. (2) 97 Cade Dillard, Robeline, La.
2. (4) 20rt Ricky Thornton Jr., Chandler, Ariz.
3. (3) 89jr J.T. Johnson, Milaca, Minn.
4. (6) 1m Curt Myers, Cameron, Wis.
5. (5) 1s Travis Saurer (R), Elizabeth, Minn.
6. (8) 2t Jake O'Neil (R), Tucson, Ariz., Hughes/Mullins, $90.
7. (1) 81 Mike Densberger, Lincoln, Neb.
8. (7) 12 Jason Gross, Osceola, Wis., BeakBuilt/Adams, $75.
9. (9) 8c Chris Clark (R), Jackson, Wyo.
REAL RACING WHEELS "B" MAIN #2 (10 laps, top 5 advance):
1. (1) 18z Zane DeVilbiss (R), Farmington, N.M.
2. (5) 4w Tyler Wolff (R), Fayetteville, Ark.
3. (2) 46 Justin Oestreich, Elk River, Minn.
4. (4) 21 Joey Jensen, Harris, Minn.
5. (3) 23 Adam Kates (R), Tonganoxie, Kan.
6. (6) 0 Zack Drews (R), Superior, Wis., Lethal/Tim's, $75.
7. (8) 11x Rich Lofthus, Bloomer, Wis., Hughes/Tim's, $75.
8. (7) 32 Shaun Peterson (R), Alexandria, Minn., MasterSbilt/Sput's, $90.
CASEY'S GENERAL STORES "A" MAIN (40 laps):
1. (3) 7a Shane Sabraski, Rice, Minn., Lethal/Scott's, 40, $3000.
2. (7) 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla., Hughes/Mullins, 40, $1700.
3. (5) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., VanderBuilt/Mullins, 40, $1200.
4. (2) 96 R.C. Whitwell (R), Tucson, Ariz., MBCustoms/Hatfield, 40, $1000.
5. (9) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, VanderBuilt/Sput's, 40, $900.
6. (4) 14w Clayton Wagamon, Ramsey, Minn., MasterSbilt/Wagamon, 40, $800.
7. (13) 97 Cade Dillard, Robeline, La., MBCustoms/ASI, 40, $700.
8. (15) 20rt Ricky Thornton Jr., Chandler, Ariz., Shaw/Mullins, 40, $650.
9. (10) 49jr Jake Timm, Winona, Minn., MBCustoms/Sput's, 40, $600.
10. (1) 07 Cory Crapser, Chippewa Falls, Wis., MBCustoms/Troy's, 40, $550.
11. (12) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., LG2/Cornett, 40, $500.
12. (16) 4w Tyler Wolff (R), Fayetteville, Ark., MBCustoms/Hatfield, 40, $450.
13. (6) 30 Matt Leer, Bruce, Wis., MBCustoms/Sput's, 39, $425.
14. (14) 18z Zane DeVilbiss (R), Farmington, N.M., DeVilbiss/DeVilbiss, 39, $400.
15. (21) 1s Travis Saurer (R), Elizabeth, Minn., MBCustoms/Dakota, 39, $400.
16. (17) 89jr J.T. Johnson, Milaca, Minn., MasterSbilt/Wagamon, 39, $275.
17. (20) 21 Joey Jensen, Harris, Minn., MBCustoms/Tim's, 39, $325.
18. (18) 46 Justin Oestreich, Elk River, Minn., SSR/Hanson, 39, $250.
19. (8) 4b Cory Bruggeman (R), Stillwater, Minn., MBCustoms/Tim's, 39, $300.
20. (11) 48 Brent Dutenhoffer, Watertown, S.D., Lethal/Sput's, 39, $300.
21. (22) 23 Adam Kates (R), Tonganoxie, Kan., LG2/Speedway, 39, $300.
22. (19) 1m Curt Myers, Cameron, Wis., LG2/Sput's, 39, $300.
23. (23) 81 Mike Densberger, Lincoln, Neb., Jet/Speedway, 39, $300.
24. (24) 8c Chris Clark (R), Jackson, Wyo., GRT/Hunter, 38, $300.
(R) = Grant Junghans Rookie of the Year contender
Lap Leaders: Whitwell 1-22, Sabraski 23-40.
Total Laps Led: Whitwell 22, Sabraski 18.
Margin of Victory: 2.876 seconds.
Time of Race: 12 minutes, 32.101 seconds (no cautions).
Provisional Starters: Densberger, Clark.
KSE Racing Products Hard Charger: Thornton (started 15th, finished 8th).
Next Race: Sunday, Aug. 13, Mason City Motor Speedway, Mason City, Iowa.
Hunt for the Casey's Cup Points: Scott 510, Hughes 475, Ramirez 458, VanderBeek 441, Dillard 428, Whitwell 418, Timm 405, Thornton 384, Saurer 375, Wolff 354.
Grant Junghans Rookie of the Year Points: Whitwell 1944, Saurer 1824, Wolff 1786, Kates 1427, DeVilbiss 1110.
Engine Builder of the Year Points: Mullins 392, Sput's 331, ASI 308, Hatfield 232, Cornett 225.
Manufacturers Championship Points: MBCustoms 391, Hughes 385, VanderBuilt 344, GRT 313, LG2 269.